We at Sodurba love showcasing our local talent – be sure to visit us to see what else we have at our offices on 55 Grays Inn Road, Bluff.
Multi Cultural Route
We have an array of cultural landmarks and temples spread throughout the south side of Durban. Each one has an unique history and interesting story to tell. Our visitors will be able to visit temples and experience their colourful festivals and exceptional Indian cuisine.
Our route is Multicultural. It explores the different cultural institutions in these areas, including Clairwood Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple, Isipingo Gowshala and Mandir Temple, Isipingo Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple and the Shri Sivan Soobramoniar Alayam.
Clairwood Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple est. 1889. Ever since the Indians migrated to this subcontinent in the 1860s, our people coming as they did from a land of high culture and religious observance and imbued with a desire to satisfy their spiritual yearning made from great effort to establish places of worship and to follow the practices and usages that were carried in their motherland. Evidence of this was seen through the province of Natal in particular wherever Indians were employed and resided. While these places of worship may have been of simple crude construction, the devotional aspects were admirable indeed. They believed in the theory of living influenced by spiritual ideologies. Most of these original Indians were from the madras presidency and the central provinces, hence they belonged to the Hindu Community and followed the traditions of the Hindus. The origin and development of places of worship in this area was almost the development of Indian culture in this land.
Isipingo Goshala & Mandir Temple. Mandir in Hindi means temple and Goshala in Hindi means a cow protection facility. It’s part of Hindu culture to protect the cow as it is regarded as a mother, therefore most Hindus do not eat beef as it is forbidden in Vedic culture. A baby grows up on the milk that the mother feeds the new born child.
Isipingo Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple founded by late Mr. KN. Govender in 1950 At present the Temple accommodates 300 devotees. The hall seats 500 cinema style and 300 table seating – mainly for weddings, functions, ceremonies etc
The Shri Sivan Soobramoniar Alayam has been established around the year 1975 by a handful of dedicated devotees and residents of Merebank, the Alayam was established in an impoverished Sub-Economic Community. Due to this, various fund raising efforts were done to establish a permanent infrastructure to cater for the cultural and religious appetite of the Merebank Community. It took years before the infrastructure could be built.
In 1949 during the riots many lives and belongings were lost and homes were plundered. Arising out of this disaster and destructions were three mothers who possessed bravery , knowledge and skill decided to pay homage and thanks to the Mother Almighty despite their losses . They were the late Mrs Nadasen Odayar (senior), the Late Mrs Lallo and the late Mrs Chetty. These mothers lit the first camphor for the divine Mother on the banks of the Umlaas river. This practice continued until the year 1951 when a few males joined in this prayer with the belief that “Kovil illa wooril irukka vendom” (don’t live in an area where there is no temple). There was always a thought in the minds of the people of Merebank that a temple in the district was essential, necessary and important.
Under the leadership of the Late Mr MN Thatu Pillai and Mr Sam Naidoo ,played the Udukai and Chilembu over the weekends collecting funds to build a temple. The Late Madurai Nadasen Pillay and his team went out visiting homes and families in all parts of the area with the Udukai, Chilembu and Pambai (ancient traditional music instruments), singing sacred songs and solicting donations for religious worship and establishment of the temple. People responded happily.
The band of people who built the temple out of reeds in Morris Road, thereafter built the temple in wood and iron in Lake Road. During 1960’s the Group Area Acts dealt a severe hand together with the building of the Southern Freeway and the Alayam was forced to move to the present site. Here a larger wood and iron structure was constructed. As the congregation grew the need for a bigger and better temple was necessary.
Thus it became possible in 1972 to start a new permanent temple. Mr MR Moodley secure in India all the Murthis and symbols required. A prominent role of assistance and support came from the Odayar family. Many well known families and personalities extended help and got involved. The new temple was opened in 1977 by Mr TSP Chetty who helped build the temple without any charges. An assembly hall was completed in 1980.
The Shree Parasakthie Alayam has become the centre of cultural and religious life in the Merebank community, and people from all surrounding areas, attend the many prayer and festivals that are conducted throughout the year.
The main Deities are , Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva , Lord Murgha and his two Consorts. These are in the main Temple. Marieamman, Lord Vishnu and Hanuman in the Mothers temple, and also Mother Dhurgha, Dhakshinamoorthy. All prayer in the Hindu calendar are observed at the Temple.
Our resident priest is Guru Sankaran who hails from Karur in India and has been with us for 22 Years.
MEREBANK SHREE PARASAKTHIE ALAYAM ( est 1949)
- Address: 2 Barrackpur Road, Merebank
- Tel: 031 462 3319
- tours please arrange for a bookings in advance
ISIPINGO SHREE SIVA SOOBRAMONIAR TEMPLE
Founded by late Mr. KN. Govender in 1950.
Private Temple owned by late Mrs K. Govender donated the Temple to the community. First Chairman was the late Kisten Govender. At present the Temple accommodates 300 devotees. The hall seats 500 cinema style and 300 table seating – mainly for weddings, functions, ceremonies etc.
Main Prayer observed include Kavady, Sivarathri, Amman, Latchmee, Sarasvathi, Shakthi, Hanuman and Navagara prayers. Services are held on Sunday mornings. All prayers commence with an invocation to Lord Vhhaayagal/Ganesha.
Information supplied by the temple.
- The Temple is situated at 21 Jooma Road, Isipingo Rail.
- Tel: 031 903 5826 / 031 902 3118
- Times: Monday – Sunday (6am – 6pm)
- For tours please arrange for a bookings in advance.
Clairwood Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple (est 1889)
Ever since the Indians migrated to this subcontinent in the 1860 , our people coming as they did from a land of high culture and religious observance and imbued with a desire to satisfy their spiritual yearning made from great effort to establish places of worship and to follow the practices and usages that were carried in their motherland. Evidence of this was seen through the province of Natal in particular wherever Indians were employed and resided. While these places of worship may have been of simple crude construction , the devotional aspects were admirable indeed. They believed in the theory of living influenced by spiritual ideologies. Most of these original Indians were from the madras presidency and the central provinces, hence they belonged to the Hindu Community and followed the traditions of the Hindus. The origin and development of places of worship in this area was almost the development of Indian culture in this land.
The Clairwood area as it is now styled was once known as Wood place and Bob place and were inhabited by people who followed an agricultural pursuit as free Indians after terminating their contracted services. In the year 1889 some leading people realising the need of places of worship decided to pursue this course for it’s a practice amongst our people according to “Avvayaar”not to live in places where there are no temples , thus one devoted and spiritual minded person in the name of Arumuga Paradassi conceived a brilliant idea and established a Velu (Gold Spear) indicating the weapon of Shri Muruga in order to start regular services of worship. This was done on a , piece of open ground in wood place, also known as Bob place, thus a place of worship had begun. Services were continued under some sort of shelter, though premature it may be there were devout followers of Hinduism. Services and religious festivities were carried on and people co-operated with him. Eventually in 1915 a committee was instituted and office bearers were elected. In order to give impetus and develop the temple ideologies and they continued vigorously to carry out the functions of the temple and accumulated funds which enabled them to acquire a piece of ground in the 1919 in Sirdar Road , Clairwood under the name of the Madras Temple. The first trustees were elected and thus a further stage had been reached in the early days of this temple. The functions of the temple continued and the cooperation of the people were so automatic that the activities were of high order and Chariots , Kavadies, Amman Gargams and other incidental practices were embarked upon.
In this way the people became enlightened to throw in their forces in support of the temple work. During this period there was no constructional progress although funds were being accumulated and this gave rise to differences of views as to the future developments and others were very enthusiastic and co-operated with a view to make substantial improvement and to plan the erection of a permanent temple on the piece acquired in Sirdar Road. However this did not materialise during the term of office of the present officials. At that stage the Indian population of the area increased tremendously and the congregation grew larger and larger.
In the year 1919, the first move of the committee was to transfer the existing temple to its new place in Sirdar Road and to rename the temple as the Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple. A quick move was made to raise sufficient funds in cash and kind to start building operations in Sirdar road. Donations in cash and kind were pouring in through special efforts of the people and the main temple was completed , other community members gave of their services free of charge. The officials continued with the building programmes and completed the other subsidiary temple, including the Drobathy Ammen temple . Soon after this various prominent people in the district of Clairwood donated idols which are still in the temple up to this day.
Immediately after the completion of the temple work the committee made a bold move to erect a very large hall to hold social functions and for the benefit of the devotees . The residents willingly contributed towards the erection of this hall. The committees was admired for its efforts in conducting festivals and services associated with the temple.
Ever since the Temple was transferred to Sirdar Road under the designation of Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple various additions and improvements have taken place to enhace the surroundings and uplift the spirituality of devotees. We have been in existence for one hundred and twenty six years we pay tribute to the founders and pioneers of the temple who have crossed the great beyond for their vision and foresight and its many administrators , some of whom dedicated their services in the sphere of cultural and spiritual development for the community at large.The Clairwood Shree Siva Soobramoniar Temple stands as a monument and tribute to all those dedicated men and women who have given of their services freely and voluntarily in the name of Lord Muruga. The Indian community is certainly proud of their contribution and owes them an eternal debt.
We salute you for all the hard work and effort put in, may this temple continue to serve the people for the many years to come.
From the late 1930s the hall hosted many weddings at affordable prices and many prominent people married here. There was a dire need to upgrade and renovate the temple hall , various fund raising initiatives together with sponsors and donations from various devotees saw a newly erected ultra modern hall being built in 2005. This hall is equipped as a beautiful air conditioned hall that caters for weddings, Nelengus, Funerals and ceremonies at various affordable packages as well as the Amman temple which services people that cannot afford a full package wedding and offer very reasonable rates for an Amman wedding, please visit our website.
Information provided by the Temple.
- Address: 122 Sirdar Rd, Durban, 4052, South Africa
- Tel: 031 465 0671 / 071 859 6616
- Times: Monday – Sunday (6am-6pm)
- tours please arrange for a bookings in advance.
For any parish to grow as a community a formal meeting place apart from the church is needed. Land that was owned by the Holy Family Sisters, on which originally their school had stood, was purchased from them and levelled. In 1986 the Parish hall was built on that land. The Church has been designed to incorporate the liturgy of the Second Vatican Council (1963 – 1965). There is emphasis on communal worship and on the Eucharist as the central act of the Liturgy.
As you enter the church the first thing that meets your eye is the large cross suspended outside between two large beams. These beams focus your attention on the altar, the lectern and the cross, which remind you of the sacrifice of Calvary. On the altar the sacrifice of Calvary is re-enacted and the cross outside the window shows this sacrifice going out to the world, redeeming it. There is no figure on the cross, as Christ is now risen from the dead and is present in the world through his Spirit.